Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lucca Italy Comic Festival

In September I went to the Lucca Comic Fesitval in Italy and had a great time -- Super Spy was just published over the summer in Italian. One thing I've always done is try to come up with a different sketch every time I sign a book. But truthfully I end up cycling through 15 or 20 different sketches that I've come up with. But for this show I thought it would be fun to come up with a different sketch for every single book I signed. Well, it ended up being about 300 sketches over 3 days. Tons of fun. What I didn't realize until the second day was that my wife was taking pictures of the sketches as I was doing them. Didn't get photos of all of them but here's a sampling....

I'm really curious as to what other artists do at cons. To me, there's a strange kind of fun to work with ink in a book without penciling anything first and having that kind of "danger" of screwing up every time and still coming up with a drawing you haven't drawn before. It's as close to any kind of performance "improv" I'll ever get and I really enjoy it.

If you look closely, there are a few where I started doing 3 panel stories in the front of the book -- each different and written on the fly. I think I only did 3 or 4 of those -- the writing and drawing just took too long for people waiting to get their books so I went back to straight sketches.


6 comments:

Katherine said...

The one with the trees and the girl walking away is beautiful

Anonymous said...

Matt, love the Planet of the Apes sketch!!!
Jason B.

Chris Schweizer said...

The straight-to-ink thing is terrifying, but you know what? It's the way I do my sketchbooks. For me, I just have to think of it as a sketch, even if it's a full drawing that takes up a whole page. You can see the forms being built up.

You've got it rough - you're making full-on, print-worthy finished pieces! I don't see how you do it, except for that you're a pretty darn amazing artist.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sketches, Matt! Can't wait to see your upcoming projects. Especially The Tooth.

Noel

francesca said...

There's also the one you did for me!! I love it. Thanks again!

PARTICLE-MAN said...

I love all the different sketches. They are awesome!

Tony Rennick